- 8 million pieces of plastic are put in the ocean everyday.
- Plastic bottles take 450 years to biodegrade in the sea.
- 1/3 caught consumption have plastic inside them.
- If we don’t stop the pollution in 2 years we won’t be able to live on earth by 2050.
- There is more ‘micro’ plastic in the ocean than there is stars in the milky way.
- We manufacture just under 300 million tonnes of plastic a year.
- Every single piece of plastic made still exists today.
Top 5 most common litter found on beaches:
- Cigarette butts
- Food wrappers
- Plastic bottles
- Plastic bottle caps
- Carrier bags
Positive Facts About Marine Pollution
1. The London Marathon replaced 200,000 single use water bottles w/ seaweed water pods.
2. There is a robot that delivers young coral to help repopulate the great barrier reef.
3. Jason Momoa has spent 31,000 dollars to help clean up plastic.
4. Panama becomes the first central American nation to ban plastic bags ( Saturday 10th August 2019)
5. Costa Rica is banning the use of styrofoam containers.
Earth Overshoot Day
Earth overshoot day marks the day which humanity’s resource consumption for the year exceeds Earth’s capacity therefore, we can calculate this date to ensure we regenerate Earth’s natural resources.